Studying English in Australia is about much more than reciting words in a classroom. Australian teaching approach focuses on critical thinking, as well as group and project work – all drawn from real-life experiences, which means you will not only be learning the language, you will be learning how to use it in everyday life.
Throughout your adventure, acquiring good English skills is essential communicating effectively, building a social and professional network and meeting friends from all parts of the world.
Types of English Courses & Training
Australia offers a range of English courses to suit a range of study needs. There are a range of English language testing organizations whose results are recognized in Australia and around the world.
You may choose between:
- General English -To improve general proficiency to access higher level courses; to improve your English for everyday use; to improve your English for travel; to improve your English for work purposes or to do casual work in an English speaking country
- English for Academic Purposes If you want to study in an Australian school, vocational college or university. Preparing you for study at an English-speaking university, higher education or vocational institute
- Examination Preparation- When you plan to take an exam such as IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC, or the Cambridge First Certificate you may choose English course preparing you for English language proficiency examinations
There is also many other English courses, like:
- English for Business
- Punctuation and Pronunciation
- Private Tuition
- English for Teaching
Our quality assurance of English Courses in Australia
Australia has national regulatory and quality agencies for international education – the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) (opens in a new window) and the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA). (opens in a new window) They were established by the Australian Government to monitor quality, and regulate university and non-university education providers against a set of independently developed standards to regulate courses and education and training providers to ensure nationally approved quality standards are met. These two bodies share responsibility for monitoring national standards for English language colleges (opens in a new window).
In addition, the following student rights are protected by law under the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS):
- The wellbeing of all international students.
The quality of students’ education experience.
The provision of up-to-date and accurate information.
A total of 177,697 international students commenced English language programs in Australia in 2017.
The Australian English language industry is respected globally as a world leader due to its cohesiveness and professionalism. Public and private sector institutions work together closely within the national association and Australia’s ELICOS National Standards are the envy of the world, providing consistent standards for all providers.
What is ELICOS?
ELICOS is an acronym for English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students. This acronym is used only in Australia and refers to the kind of courses of full time study of English that can be accredited by the Australian federal government for study on a Student Visa.